Construction Experts with ‘Inactive’ Licenses – Questions and Answers for Deposing Attorneys
As reported by the Contractors State License Board (CSLB), there are approximately 285,000 current (active and inactive) contracting licenses held in California.1 In any given year:
- About 45-50% (~136,000) of these 285,000 licenses are held by (B) General Building Contractors.
- About 77% (~105,000) of these ‘B’ licenses are deemed active by the Contractors State Licensing Board, while the remaining 23% (~31,000) are maintained by their holders as inactive.
- An inactive license is deemed ‘on hold’ and need only be renewed every four years (as opposed to two years for active licenses).
- Holders of inactive licenses are not required to maintain a bond,2 and cannot lawfully engage or act in the capacity of a licensed Contractor in good standing.3
In the construction defects litigation arena, there are expert witnesses who rely upon inactive license(s) as a qualifying foundation for their testimony. This brief explores potentially limiting parameters of this practice.
Read more here >